Saturday, October 15, 2016

Dewey Read-A-Thon Plan

It's that time again!!!!! Time to start prepping for October Read-A-Thon! I've already requested time off from work the following Monday to make sure I recover my sleep because I am planning on staying up the FULL 24 hours. I still regret not being able to stay awake last time, even if I was recovering from serious health issues. Stupid fragile body. 

Anyways, I need a plan of attack. True to form, I still intend on waking up at 7 AM to give myself an hour to prepare. Technically I'll be preparing the day before, baking snacks and shopping for energy drinks to stock up on for the day. However, first thing in the morning, I'm planning on eating a good breakfast and prepping my blog for the Opening Questions. 

Breakfast Buffet Sugar Rush! by PixelKitties

This Read-A-Thon, I'm not going to read books. Shocking, I know. The thing is, my husband reads a lot of web comics that I've wanted to get into, and I've had several others recommended to me. But I know I'd have to start from the very beginning of each of them in order to understand what's going on. Problem is, many of these comics have been running for years! If I were to get started on them, I'd need to dedicate huge chunks of time to reading them. So, why not during the Read-A-Thon?

Futurama Posters by Barry Doyon, via Behance:

Of course, there is also the problem of page counting. I keep track of the number of pages I read and I'm not counting one quick, four-panel comic strip as a page. At the same time, however, there are some comics whose content is dense enough, I'd feel comfortable counting one page as a page. So, what I'm going to do is count my pages, based on the comic. I've listed my reading list below and, in parentheses, is how I'm going to count them. If you think a comic deserves different treatment, please let me know. I'm open to discussion on this.

Reading List:
Yosh Saga (3 = 1 page)
Grrl Power (1 = 1 page provided I read the footnotes as well)
Girl Genius (1 = 1 page)
The Devil's Panties (4 = 1 page)
Dr. McNinja (2 = 1 page) - I understand this one will be ending soon, so may as well read it all.


Now, I know that there's no guarantee I'll get through all of these. There's also no guarantee that it'll take me 24 hours to read all of them. I will be at least trying to do a fair amount of cheering each hour, plus I've got a couple of favorite web comics that I've been meaning to re-read for a while and my husband always has more comics to recommend if I need more to read. If I run out of time to read what's on my list, hopefully I'll at least have made some good progress. 

So, what are your plans for the Read-A-Thon? Do you agree with my page count scheme? Do you have any web comic recommendations? Please let me know in the comments! 

In the meantime, Happy Reading!






1 comment:

  1. Oh, fun. I really should get into web comics. I used to read a few probably 10 years ago or so, but never got back into it. I have so many series and projects and things on the go now, I am not sure I need more. lol But, might check this list out and at least bookmark the pages for future reference!

    ReplyDelete